AutoAlign 2 - Lock Phase For A Single Reference Track

Hi

I’ve just discovered auto align, and I’m already getting good results.

The one issue I have discovered so far (or perhaps I’m missing something) is the loss of something like the reference track in AutoAlign 1.

I have a session where my R88 overheads are perfect and will make up the majority of my kit sound and I don’t want to mess with them at all, but the closemics were thrown up quickly and will be used sparingly in the mix.

What I want to do is set the R88 as a reference track, so that no phase alignment is done to it at all. I then want all the less significant mics phase aligned to that. I’m less bothered about time delays.

In the image below you can see that the Overheads R88 are phase corrected across a range of frequencies. I want to see the Overheads R88 as completely untouched (green), and all the other mics fitted to them.

Is this possible with AutoAlign 2, and if not please could you add it as a feature request?

I heard there are still reference tracks in AutoAlign 2 Post. Could I use this instead in my case and would it solve this problem for me?

Many thanks

Hi @adamant,

Thanks for your message.

Auto-Align 1 required some manual routing in order to align all the microphones on a drum kit.
We received many inquiries from our users asking about the process and how to do it correctly.

We wanted to simplify things and that’s why in Auto-Align 2 there’s no need for a reference track.
The algorithm aligns all the tracks that share common information against each other.

At the moment, there isn’t an option to disable the Spectral Phase correction. We’re working to add this feature as we speak.

You can use Auto-Align Post 2 in Static mode to align all your tracks to the Overheads track.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks.

Oran

Hi @Oran

Thank you for your response.

I have to say, I think AA2 is great and works really well on the majority of my drum recordings.

Just to be clear, I dont want to turn spectral phase correction off on all tracks, only one of them, and have all other tracks spectrally matched to that one.

I think spectral phase correction is amazing, I just want this amount of control over it.

Is this something you can do?

Thanks

Hi @adamant,

I’m happy to hear you’re enjoying Auto-Align 2. Thanks for the clarification.

The plan is to implement a feature that will allow you to turn off Spectral Phase for specific tracks.
If you have any questions, just let me know.

Thanks,

Oran

Hi!

Wouldn‘t that be achieved by setting the R88 Track as Key Track for the drum group? See Manual page 18.

Best,
Frank