Auto-Align Post Alignment Issue

I found an issue I believe while editing a huge feature film project I’m working on. I found that if I add tracks above the tracks I’m working on and then try to use AAP to sync any tracks, it won’t see the key track that I have selected, and it will align the targeted track to a blank track as if there was no key track selected.

I then tested changing the key track to a track below the actual key track (one that was actually empty) and it thought that was actually the key track (the one above) and sync’d correctly.

Then I deleted the extra tracks above the key track and it went back to syncing to the correct key track. What’s up with this? I had worked on the film hours and hours and never noticed this issue until the end where I was adding in more tracks. I found I can avoid the issue in Pro Tools if I don’t add tracks above the key track but always below… it seems tracks above the key track push down the where AAP thinks the actual key track is. Thoughts? Help?

I also tried closing and reopening Pro Tools to see if AAP would reset itself to see the key track correctly again and it still didn’t work, only removing the new tracks allowed for it to work.

1 Like

Hi @sirisx4,
There’s a bug in Pro Tools when tracks are opened in Playlists views. when in Playlist view, side chain track would be incorrect.

• If that’s the case I’d suggest contacting Avid so they’ll prioritise this issue.
  • If your issue is another one, contact us through support so we’ll investigate this further and provide a fix if needed.

Thank you for letting us know! It is really important to hear about any quirks like that.

2 Likes

Thank you for this! I was getting buyers remorse!

Got a response from Avid saying that it is Sound Radix’s issue, not theirs.

Hi @d_hydrate,
As I don’t know the exact response from Avid I can only assure you that this was reported to Avid and the issue can happen with ANY AudioSuite.

You can see it happens with Avid’s Dyn3 Compressor.
Toggle it like this:
Now it simply passes the side-chain to the destination/selected track.

Set the the sidechain input from a track with multiple playlists and a track or more between them.
You’ll see the rendered audio will differ if the track is in playlist or waveform mode.

The good news however as I’ve wrote above that this has a simple workaround of keeping your tracks in waveform or not playlists mode before using AudioSuites.

2 Likes

Sirisx4 – thank you for posting your workaround! I’ve also been working on a feature film and some clips I had used AAP2 on all of a sudden sounded out of phase, yet they were fine the day before. Even tried re-rendering the clips and nothing took. So I moved the clips down to an empty track as you’d mentioned and voila, everything works as it should again. Phew!

1 Like