AA2 use between bounced and unbounced tracks

Hi, I had an established workflow using AA1 and Pi but now I think I need to revise it with AA2 and Pi.
For instance when mixing drum tracks I build up the insert chain for the kick first then bounce it to save CPU then continue on to the snare track. Once that is done, I bounce the snare then continue through OHs, etc. As I build up the chain for each drum track I audition it within the overall drum mix as I go along.
Before AA2 I would apply Pi on each track in Post Fader as I built up the insert chain, then remove PI when bouncing it, then reapply it in Post Fader to the bounced version when continuing onto the next drum track say the snare.

Now with AA2 I really like applying it on the entire drum kit at the beginning before drilling into any of the individual tracks but I am unclear on where and how to use AA2 on the individual track when mixing then bouncing it. When Iā€™ve completed mixing the Kick track do I keep AA2 enabled when bouncing then apply it to the bounced kick track and reset Align to coordinate with the yet unbounced unmixed tracks? Or do I disable it on the kick prior to bouncing then reapply on the bounced track with the others and applying Align again? And then does any of this affect my previous workflow using PI as described above?

A bit involved but I donā€™t see any clear similarities with the questions posed here so far nor within the manual (which is a vast improvement over the documentation for AA1 btw.) TIA.

From my experience there should not be any harm in re applying AA2 since if there is no need of alignment after bouncing the track, it will just show green meaning nothing was done to this track viz-a-viz other tracks. Or if the relationship changes due to some change in other tracks, re running AA2 might make changes to this bounced track. Now Pi should actually take care of any dynamic changes to phase etc, so i am also not sure why would i need AA2 to begin with. BTW, i am just a user, i took AA2 for trial, so wait for some expert to answer it. I am also curious about your question. Since i am in queue to buy these 2 fabulous softwares. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @kemccarthy1,

Thanks for your message. Which DAW are you using?

Thanks,

Oran

Hi Oran, I should have mentioned it. Iā€™m using Cubase 12.

Thanks for weighing in. Iā€™ve been using AA1 and Pi for a few years now and can strongly recommend them. A little expensive but well worth it. The results with as opposed to without are remarkable IMO.

And one other question, Oran. Until now when using a bounced bass track to work against a bounced kick track with both using PI, Iā€™ve been using a duplicate of the kick track (no bus and no PI) as a trigger for an external sidechain for the bass as Mir had mentioned PI didnā€™t work well when using the kick as the trigger directly. Iā€™m wondering if this would apply to applying a sidechain of a kick aligned with the bounced bass using AA2. TIA.

Hi @kemccarthy1 ,

Thanks for your reply.

Iā€™d suggest using Auto-Align as an ARA extension.
In order to use Auto-Align as an ARA extension, make sure youā€™re using Cubase 12.0.60 or newer.
Select the events you want to align, go to the Audio menu ā†’ Extensions ā†’ Auto-Align 2, and click ā€˜Alignā€™.

When using Auto-Align as an ARA extension, thereā€™s no capturing needed, which can save you some time.

When used as an ARA extension, Auto-Align will also continue the ā€œseeā€ the previously bounced tracks so youā€™ll be able to easily audition alignment options while mixing the rest of the tracks.
Once youā€™ve finished mixing the first track, render it, it will also render Auto-Align.
(make sure ā€œComplete Signal Pathā€ is selected).

You can use Auto-Align 2 on side-chained tracks, thereā€™s no need to duplicate the side-chain source.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at [email protected].

Happy Alignment!