Classical string piano quartet

I am considering buying Auto Align, but I would first like to know if it will work in my situation. I have recorded a piano quartet (piano, violin, viola, cello) using a stereo spot mic on piano and single spot mics on each of the other three instruments, plus an main AB pair of omnis.
The standard way to mix this is not to use alignment. However, I would like to experiment with time aligning the spot mics to the main pair.
I gather that Auto Align is very effective with drums, but my situation is very much different than that. Unlike drums, there are very few isolated transients and most of the time, all the instruments are playing at the same time, or close to it.
Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Would Auto Align be effective in my situation?
(Pro Tools 10, windows 7)

Hi Wildplum,

Auto-Align can definitely help in the set up you described.

Auto-Align’s source material doesn’t have to include isolated transients in order for Auto-Align to work.
It’s also not a problem if all the instruments are playing together as long as the ratio between the source and bleed in the close mics allows you to filter out the bleed by raising the ‘Sidechain Noise Floor’ slider.

You can demo Auto-Align for 14 days, the installer is waiting for you in your personal User Area.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us @ support.

Thanks,

Oran