32 Lives compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina?

On 3rd of June, 2019, Apple announced their upcoming macOS as part of the WWDC keynote.

Starting with macOS Catalina, 32-bit apps are no longer compatible with macOS.

32 Lives uses 32-bit code which is not compatible with macOS Catalina.
If you wish to continue using 32 Lives, please continue to do so on macOS Mojave.

Early tests shows that while install would succeed,
the 32-bit part (which runs the actual plug-in) would fail - meaning your 32-bit plug-ins won’t work at all.

We will use this thread to update on the subject.

Update June 24 2019:
Apple released first Catalina public-beta.
32 Lives and any 32-bit app will break and stop working.

1 Like

The next macOS was just announced today and the developer beta is out, with the public beta coming soon.

For a while now it’s been expected that this version will drop support for 32-bit apps. Would be great to confirm ASAP whether 32 Lives will work in this new version or not.

2 Likes

This message was part of earlier thread. I’ve merged it to main 10.15 discussion thread to keep all information pinned as first message.

Thank you!

Thanks for the post. Is there any possible method you might be able to use for getting 32 Lives to work on Catalina? Is there some method of re-coding 32 Lives to get it working? Or is it just not going to be possible whatsoever?

We promise to keep this thread up-to-date with our findings. for now, current version of 32 Lives would simply hang as the 32-bit side won’t launch at all.

1 Like

What if you used a 32bit Virtual Machine running on the Catalina machine to host the 32bit plugins, and the x64 32 Lives plugin communicated with them over the local network?

1 Like

Yes, technically that should be possible, but the communications will incur more overhead and it would require you to have a whole virtual machine setup which is less than ideal.

I would think that any virtual host setup would introduce too much latency to be a useful workaround. But I still have hope that a workaround could be found. I wish there was something like this for apps as well, but I think that is never going to happen.

1 Like

Hey Guys, as I will continue working with Logic Pro X under Catalina having a bunch of VST´s running with your 32Lives, it´s quite important for me to know if this still will be possible before doing the update or buying a new Mac. As far as I understand @yair it´s more probable that users will no longer be able to use their old virtual instruments, is that right? Well this would be really bad news…

Currently - that is the case :frowning:
We do promise to update if that ever change.

It might be worth taking a look at what CodeWeavers are doing:

2 Likes

Thank you, @antoine.

Hello!

So basically it’s pretty much the death of 32 Lives soon, with Catalina and all the next coming updates? Unless we don’t update (which at some point will be impossible and we’ll have to) there’s no way customers will be able to still use 32 Lives?

Finger crossed. My MacPros are waiting for a viable 32 Lives with MacOS Catalina

I updated. 32 lives and all the other plugins will not work. I should’ve backed up before I did the OS update. Luckily I got time off of work to install 1TB of stuff back onto my MacBook Pro. Will this be the end of 32 Lives at this point? If so, I’ll stay on Catalina and move on.

Hi guys, I’m afraid that we currently do not see a viable, stable and efficient solution to run 32-bit plugin on macOS Catalina. If you’re depended on your 32-bit plugins, we recommend to stick to your last working macOS and install Catalina on a separate partition or drive.

Thanks,

Nir

1 Like

Crossover seems to be making progress getting Wine builds to run on Catalina. If Wine succeeds, would that mean that 32 lives might have some way to work on Catalina?

1 Like

We’ll sure check it out when it’ll become available.

You can keep an eye on that progress here: