32 Lives compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina?

Seconded on checking out what CodeWeavers have achieved. v19 of Crossover was just released and claims to run 32-bit Windows executables on a 64-bit-only host. I don’t know if there would be any opportunity to just share information between your companies privately on how it was achieved (after all, you’re both in totally different markets) but it indicates that, provided the hardware itself has 32-bit support, there may well be a way to get 32 Lives working on Catalina - even though it might not be easy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just chiming in here. If a Catalina-compatible version of 32 Lives becomes possible, I’d gladly pay the full price again to incentivize developing it.

3 Likes

I second bjarke.bech. Such an amazing tool to keep old gems alive, I’d easily pay again for the update to support the development if it becomes possible in the near future.

2 Likes

Same for me! Really don´t know if it´s possible to create a 64bit wrapper plugin that is interpreting a 32bit code plugin like a VM.

2 Likes

So… I just bought a brand new MACBOOK PRO - 2020… and they have informed me that they can not be downgraded to Mojave - Maybe I should have done some research first but after my late 2018 MACBOOK PROs battery swelled up and I had to get a brand new machine there was no way i was going to get the same machine with all the issues. Anyway… still hoping there is a way that 32Bit lives on in Catalina! And will also pay for an upgrade if it works!

Hi @phil.anquetil

Congrats on your new machine! Unfortunately, there’s no reliable solution for running 32 Lives under macOS Catalina.
When possible, we recommend sticking to your last working macOS and installing Catalina on a separate partition or drive.
Apple’s decision to drop 32-bit plugins support is out of our control. It’s simply technically impossible to support 32 Lives and 32-bit plugins under Catalina at a compatibility standard one would expect.

Thanks,

Oran

Hi Guys,
I’m also researching for weeks to find a solution to run my few small 32bit plugins under catalina.

an idea:
would it make sense to provide a 64bit DAW plugin that connects (and streams audio) via network to a 32bit minihost that could be run inside a small VM?
a little bit like Logic Node was supposed to work…

certainly not the same elegance as 32lives had, but I think people would not complain about that when they desperately wanna use their old stuff.
with this and a vmware we would be up and running again, no?

Dear Staff or someone with info about the subject
Mentioned above… Is 32 Lives still not updated for Catalina? Safest option would be to install Mojave for 32 bit plugins and software? I’m switching to a new MacBook in a month or so and I’m doing research into how much it will change my workflow, what I need to be prepared for… thank you for your time in advance :slight_smile:

Hi @ bakker.renan,

Unfortunately, 32-bit plugins or software cannot run at all under Catalina. A possible workaround could be installing an earlier macOS on a separate drive or partition if your system allows this. macOS 10.14 (Mojave) is the last macOS version to support 32-bit code.

Thanks,

Oran

@soundradix is this something that will continue to be looked at or is it consider completely dead with no possible solution ever ?

1 Like

Hi @ jason.robinson,

I’m afraid that the chances of running 32-bit plugins and apps in macOS Catalina are very slim.

Since Apple removed all 32-bit code compatibility, it is simply technically impossible to support 32 Lives and 32-bit plugins under Catalina at a compatibility standard one would expect.

Here’s an in-depth article about macOS Catalina and 32-bit apps:

Cheers,

Oran

1 Like

okay thanks for the response and info. Ironically there is only one plugin that want to be able to run , REFX Vanguard. but might be time to move on… I understand its impossible but if somehow the impossible becomes possible I would 2nd what some of the others have stated and pay full price again :wink: I think I will give the CodeWeavers net VST a go using the windows version of the plugin and see how that works out , thanks again guys

I found a Mac solution that will allow me to essentially run Audio over ethernet using another machine thats still on Mojave . you can pull up the GUI and pipe in the audio straight to your DAW. so far it works very well and very minimal latency.

1 Like

Hi Jason,

Thanks for sharing this option. Glad to hear AudioGridder is working well for you.

Dear SoundRadix team, should we wait for new experiments on your side or there are no chances that we get 32lives to work on catalina? Please give a transparent answer so we can all follow the right path.

Hi @novaisdaniel,
@Nir already wrote a transparent answer:

Hi guys, I’m afraid that we currently do not see a viable, stable and efficient solution to run 32-bit plugin on macOS Catalina. If you’re depended on your 32-bit plugins, we recommend to stick to your last working macOS and install Catalina on a separate partition or drive.

So I guess the right path is winding down on newer machines or run 32 Lives on Mojave or earlier.

Due to missing the window of upgrading to 10.13 / 10.14 and it’s complicated process of trying to install on a usb, partition a drive, not to mention attempting to download it presently from apple’s servers (It’s Evident apple just want people to go straight to OS 10.15) I found upgrading to Catalina was a simple process, but now i’m in complete overhaul, (with Catalina being very similar to iOS 10.14.1 most current version on my iPhone 11 Pro). Note: Apple is already looking ahead to OS 10.16.

I’m writing to you to really try & see what you can do with a 32 lives update. Update the 32 lives application to 64 bit? I would assume bridging the plugins from 32 bit to 64 bit, would require the application itself to be 64 bit. I know your company is trying. It’s just i am very attached to ReFx Vanguard… it’s a shame ReFx did not even release a 64 version update for this plugin. It’s just one of those fine synths plugins, with plenty of artists who had made preset banks for it, & it’s capabilities & my knowledge of the synth. I have an emotional attachment to it! It’s helped made me awesome productions, regardless of the genre. I am sure there are many people who can relate to this in here.

I feel like between now having to losing this lovely converter application, and the other plugins I paid for that remained to be 32 bit (No need to call out the 3rd party companies) Money & attachment has been lost here, & not just me, I’m speaking of everyone that supports the companies / artist’s & don’t support piracy. I will do my best & remain hopeful you can pull off a breakthrough. The 32 Lives application your company made is absolutely the best 32 - 64 bit converter. To put it through iLok protection meant you must of had that many people purchase it & many more who wish they could have. Look forward to a response from you.

Thank You,
_jV’

Any word on 32lives becoming compatible with Mac Big Sur?

Hi @djjvelez and @sadeawilliams16,

Unfortunately, no news on the 32 Lives front. macOS Catalina and higher (Big Sur) do not allow any 32-bit code to run and 32 Lives uses 32-bit code in order to run your 32-bit plugins.

You might want to check the free AudioGridder plugin host which can allow you to run your 32-bit plugins from a remote machine.

1 Like

Yes, same for me, I’d pay again for a Catalina compatible version!
Catalina can run 32-bit code, just not natively.
Virtualization is possible as Crossover has shown with their latest version.
Now of course there is the issue of added latency, but it would surely be acceptable to people who really need it.
I’m afraid the actual answer is more along the lines of this update being much more complex (instead of impossible) and less profitable than the “simple” wrapper that it initially was.