This plugin DESPERATELY needs a leveller limiter

First off, I’d just like to say that this plugin is truly fantastic and I haven’t come across anything else that deals with dialogue in such an intuitive and effective manner. I am a full-time podcast producer/editor and I literally use this on every single show I work on. I love it.

HOWEVER…

There is a major flaw in the plugin in that it desperately needs a function that allows you to limit the leveler so it doesn’t push the true peak past 0 dbfs. I’m aware that there is a limiter on the output, but it doesn’t do much good when the audio is already crunchy from leveler pushing the audio 6db above peak. Same thing with the compressor functions…they’re nice to have, but not helpful when the audio is already peaking by the time it hits them. The leveler simply needs to STOP when it hits 0db.

I’ve found that when I am shooting for 16db LUFS (the standard in podcasting), dialogue is consistently peaking out. The workaround I use is to shoot for -18 or -20 and place a limiter plugin next in the chain to makeup the difference. This works, but it would be nice to not have to do that.

I know nothing about building plugins, so maybe this is an egregious task, but it doesn’t seem like it should be and it would make this plugin SO MUCH more intuitive! I should mention that I got the idea when testing out the Quiet Art Defaulter, as it is a feature that comes with that plugin.

Please let me know if this is possible or in the cards!

Thanks,
Brayden
Podfather Creative

3 Likes

Hi @b.dyczkowski,

Thanks for your kind words, happy to hear you’re enjoying POWAIR.
I’ve added your request to our feature requests list. If you have any other requests, let us know.

Thanks,

Oran

I experience this as well. I wouldn’t really call it an issue, but there does seem to be a need for independent boost and reduction logic, or a fast compressor/limiter at TRGT, or just some system which looks and says “they probably don’t need +15dB of gain any more if we’re going past TRGT threshold”. Its the common scenario when someone pauses to take a breath and/or advance a slide, then starts speaking again a bit louder than before, causing the audio to surge past the TRGT threshold (amongst many other scenarios).

1 Like

I put Kazrog K Clip 3 at the end.It’s amazing! But really.With digital,and the amazing headroom it affords.I tend to float around -6db on the master.