Multiple sources, multiple mics

Forgive me if this is a silly question but…

I am a voice artist and often work with my wife. Up to now when we’re recording material together, we share the same mic - primarily because earlier experiments with 2 mics created the very issue AA2 seems to solve.

My understanding of AA2 is that it will solve issues with ONE source and multiple mics. Logically I get it - single source on one mic becomes the reference off which any other mics can then be adapted to.

But if I have a 2nd source speaking into a 2nd mic on a different track - does AA2 solve the issues generated by that?

I think it should - but I’m not an engineer so wanted to check… I obviously don’t want to spend a lot of money on a plug in to find it doesn’t.

[we would record on 2 static mics. Rarely, if we’re on camera, we use Lav mics which I assume I’d need AA2-Post for]

Thank you in anticipation!

Hi @gussyscrotch.

Thanks for your message.

In Auto-Align 2 there’s no reference track. The algorithm aligns all the tracks that share common information against each other.

if I have a 2nd source speaking into a 2nd mic on a different track - does AA2 solve the issues generated by that?

Auto-Align 2 can indeed help address any issues generated by that setup. When both speakers are in the same room, there is often some bleed that gets captured by each microphone. Auto-Align can improve the phase correlation between these two mics, resulting in a cleaner and more coherent sound.

If you’re also using Lav mics, you can still use Auto-Align 2.

If you are moving during the performance, you may want to check out Auto-Align Post which offers a Dynamic alignment mode.

All our plugins have 14 days trials available in the Downloads page.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks,

Oran

Thank you, Oran, that’s fantastic news and it sounds just what I’ve been needing for the last few years. I look forward to giving it a try!
Much appreciated.

1 Like