I would like to use Auto Align to align wireless mics to boom mics for Production Sound


#1

I would like to use this plugin as an audio suite plugin to align and phase correct wireless mic sound file to a reference boom file on the timeline in ProTools and then render the files on the timeline with the corrections in the audio suite version of the plugin. I’ve tried the plugin and it seems to only work for for mixing. There doesn’t seem to be a way to identify the reference source file in the audio suite version of this plugin. The send and receive seem to do anything in the audio suite version. Am I missing something?


#2

Hi @DougMTN, I’m afraid you’re correct.

Auto-Align AudioSuite is behaving exactly as the AAX counterpart.
It can be useful only after detection with the AAX.
With AAX you can easily commit/freeze the track after detection.
With AudioSuite you can copy the settings (after using the detection from the AAX instance) and paste them into the AudioSuite in order to print them to a new processed audio file.

Detection itself must be done with 2 instances of Auto-Align AAX.


#3

Hey Doug! Vince from down the hall!

I encountered the same issues trying to use this plugin for lav/boom alignment awhile back and tried to explain to Sound Radix there is a huge pocket of dialog editors like you and I who could really use this product if tweaked just a bit to better support our workflow.

I made a rather lengthy post about it, explaining their detection algorithm coupled with a “capture” based user interface more like vocalign could be a serious game changer in our work but nobody seems overly interested. Would love it if you’d add your “me too” to the post if you have a sec:

I have gotten it to work, albeit clunkily, via the method they outline (a detect track to measure and then copy/paste offset into audiosuite version). Good news is I’ve heard both Cargo Cult and Izotope are working on their own solutions. Shame since it seems sound radix already did the hard part with the detection system, seems a couple days of work to repackage a better audiosuite interface.