“32 Lives Launcher” would like to access your contacts

I just had a popup warning on Mac OSX 10.12.6 with the following

““32 Lives Launcher” would like to access your contacts.”

Why would it like to do this? can someone explain before i make my tinfoil hat??

We do not try to access your contacts. I have no idea why this happened, and this is the first we hear of this issue. I’m afraid at this moment I can only provide several guesses:

• Perhaps we use a system API which inadvertently does this as a side effect, which may sometimes happen but I’ve yet to found such a call in our code…
  • Perhaps one of the bridged plugins asks for the contacts. I’d need to ask my colleagues if this would show up this way. Perhaps you could try to see if this happens only with a specific plugin that you are trying to load?
  • Perhaps our use of PACE iLok causes this somehow. Which version of the iLok License Manager are you using?
  • Did you download the installer from our site? If it was from another source (I don’t know if you’re using the full version or the demo but it’s possible for example some sites may offer mirror downloads which potentially could be tampered)
  • Perhaps there’s a bug with macOS (sometimes such things happen)

It’s all wild guesses because I simply don’t know at the moment how this happened. Please keep us updated so we can understand what is happening.